Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Don't Fall For the Ring Scam


Just wanted to put this one out there... Really, the only touristy thing I did while in Paris was to photograph the Eiffel Tower because of my interest in its architecture. Walking along the banks of the Seine on Quai D'Orsay between the Tour Eiffel and Esplanade des Invalides, I came across a big outdoor temporary photo exhibit. (These are big here, I just missed one from the Parisian street artist, JR, by a couple of days.)

After wandering though the oversized photo maze, I saw a young guy out of the corner of my eye beeline towards me. He picked something off the ground and presented it to me, a simple gold men's wedding band. He said he just found it and wanted to give it to me. I kept saying no and shaking my head and finally he retreated for a minute. I quickened my pace to put distance between us, when I heard him yelling, "Miss! Miss!!!" Then he came running after me. He made a show of the ring not fitting him properly and then he grabbed my hand and shoved it into my closed fist. As I was walking away, he said he needed money for food so I threw the ring at him. He FINALLY gave up. The whole thing was bizarre, some kind of subversive street theatre where an invisible director calls action over and over to this wind-up streetwise kid and all his potential prey. Not that I would actually be daft enough to fall for this, but thanks to a scene in Zombieland, I knew immediately that this was a scam and now you do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment